In HYPERGLYCEMIA, it is common to see glycogen "in" hepatic nuclei (really, in a deep cup-shaped depression in the side of the nucleus; the nucleus looks clear), pancreatic beta cells, and (if control is really poor) in the proximal tubular epithelial cells (why?).
PPI plays a big role in the cell-signalling cascade; for instance, dephosphorylation of glycogen synthase by protein phosphatase-1 results in glycogen synthesis.
34. Lim NK, Hung LW, Pang TY, McLean CA, Liddell JR, Hilton JB. . Localized changes to glycogen synthase kinase-3 and collapsin response mediator protein-2 in the Huntington's disease affected brain. 2014;23:4051-63
36. Dewhurst S, Maggirwar SB, Schifitto G, Gendelman HE, Gelbard HA. Glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta (GSK-3 beta) as a therapeutic target in neuroAIDS. 2007;2:93-6
29. Li DW, Liu ZQ, Chen W, Yao M, Li GR. Association of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta with Parkinson's disease (review). 2014;9:2043-50
44. Denham M, Bye C, Leung J, Conley BJ, Thompson LH, Dottori M. Glycogen synthase kinase 3beta and activin/nodal inhibition in human embryonic stem cells induces a pre-neuroepithelial state that is required for specification to a floor plate cell lineage. 2012;30:2400-11
27. Beurel E, Mines MA, Song L, Jope RS. Glycogen synthase kinase-3 levels and phosphorylation undergo large fluctuations in mouse brain during development. 2012;14:822-30
45. Fung TK, Gandillet A, So CW. Selective treatment of mixed-lineage leukemia leukemic stem cells through targeting glycogen synthase kinase 3 and the canonical Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. 2012;19:280-6
46. Chen EY, DeRan MT, Ignatius MS, Grandinetti KB, Clagg R, McCarthy KM. . Glycogen synthase kinase 3 inhibitors induce the canonical WNT/beta-catenin pathway to suppress growth and self-renewal in embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma. 2014;111:5349-54
23. Cross DA, Alessi DR, Vandenheede JR, McDowell HE, Hundal HS, Cohen P. The inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 by insulin or insulin-like growth factor 1 in the rat skeletal muscle cell line L6 is blocked by wortmannin, but not by rapamycin: evidence that wortmannin blocks activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in L6 cells between Ras and Raf. 1994;303:21-6
49. Farago M, Dominguez I, Landesman-Bollag E, Xu X, Rosner A, Cardiff RD. . Kinase-inactive glycogen synthase kinase 3beta promotes Wnt signaling and mammary tumorigenesis. 2005;65:5792-801
19. Woodgett JR, Cohen P. Multisite phosphorylation of glycogen synthase. Molecular basis for the substrate specificity of glycogen synthase kinase-3 and casein kinase-II (glycogen synthase kinase-5). 1984;788:339-47
50. Ma C, Wang J, Gao Y, Gao TW, Chen G, Bower KA. . The role of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta in the transformation of epidermal cells. 2007;67:7756-64
52. Dong J, Peng J, Zhang H, Mondesire WH, Jian W, Mills GB. . Role of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta in rapamycin-mediated cell cycle regulation and chemosensitivity. 2005;65:1961-72
17. Embi N, Rylatt DB, Cohen P. Glycogen synthase kinase-3 from rabbit skeletal muscle. Separation from cyclic-AMP-dependent protein kinase and phosphorylase kinase. 1980;107:519-27